Parking Lot Slip & Fall Accidents Lawyers Pittsburgh, PA
Seasoned Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers Represent Clients Injured in Parking Lot Accidents in Pittsburgh and Throughout Allegheny County
Most people realize that a business owner has the duty to keep his or her store, restaurant or other establishment safe for customers. What is often overlooked is that if the business owner also maintains a parking lot or garage for customer use, that legal duty also extends to keeping the parking lot safe. This rule applies equally to business owners who simply own and operate parking lots for general use—for example, in a downtown area. People slip and fall because of dangerous conditions in parking lots in the Pittsburgh area every single day, and many of these cases can result in serious injuries that may cause the victim to suffer adverse consequences over a lifetime—even if only in the form of aches and pains, or reduced ability to engage in physical activity.
At Goodrich & Geist, P.C., we take property owners’ duty to keep their customers safe seriously. We represent clients every day who have suffered injuries because a property owner failed to take the time to ensure parking lots were safe for customers to walk through—and we fight to make sure that the property owner’s short-term savings on inadequate maintenance does not end up costing our clients in the long run. If you believe you deserve financial compensation after you sustained injuries in a parking lot slip and fall accident, call our offices today to schedule a free initial case evaluation.
Parking Lot Slip and Fall Accidents Are Common and Entirely Preventable
Most of us walk through parking lots every day without incident. However, this is only possible when the property owner does not allow the property to fall into disrepair. Slip and fall accidents in parking lots are commonly caused by the property owner’s failure to take reasonable steps to repair, remove or warn of any of the following:
- Uneven pavement,
- Poor lighting,
- Uneven sewer drains,
- Slippery pavement, whether caused by ice, accumulated oil or otherwise,
- Debris in the parking lot,
- Accumulated snow.
Slip and fall accidents are entirely preventable, and the property owner has several duties to customers and guests. Although these duties vary based upon whether the property owner is conducting a business or not, nearly all parking lot owners maintain the parking lot for some business purpose. This means that the property owner owes the highest duty of care to those who use the parking lot, which includes:
- Exercising reasonable care to inspect the parking lot in order to discover any dangerous conditions,
- Taking measures to warn of the dangerous condition, such as roping the area off or placing warning signs in the vicinity of the danger, and
- Repairing the property to eliminate the danger in a reasonable amount of time.
Skilled Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers at Goodrich & Geist, P.C. Help Clients Injured in Parking Lots Navigate the Pittsburgh Legal System
One of the most common questions we hear from clients who have been injured in parking lot slip and fall accidents involves what they should do after the accident to help maximize their right to compensation. Although our attorneys will handle an in-depth investigation and gather relevant evidence, after a slip and fall accident you should:
- Report the accident to the police to create a formal report,
- See a doctor as soon as possible to avoid making your injuries worse and to create a record of the injury for use in recovering compensation for your treatment,
- Report the accident to the business’ manager, or party listed near the parking lot entrance or exit if the parking lot was not directly connected to a store or restaurant (our lawyers can help you determine the appropriate party),
- Take photos or videos of the scene with your phone,
- If there were any witnesses, obtain their contact information,
- Refrain from attempting to negotiate with the insurance companies or business owner, as they will almost always make an initial offer that does not fully account for the compensation to which you may be entitled. Our experienced slip and fall accident lawyers can handle every aspect of the negotiation process for you and will work tirelessly to make sure you are fully compensated for your injuries.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation With Our Erie, PA Parking Lot Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
Injuries sustained in parking lot slip and fall accidents can be much more serious than they initially appear, and our experienced lawyers will fight to hold the negligent property owner financially accountable for your injuries. Call our offices or fill out this online form, to set up a free consultation with our dedicated team of Pittsburgh area slip and fall accident lawyers today. Our office is conveniently located at 3634 California Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15212.
Frequently Asked Questions About Parking Lot Slip & Fall Accidents
Yes, Pennsylvania law does not impose a requirement that you actually purchased an item to recover in a slip and fall accident case. You remained a customer—or, more technically, a “business invitee”—despite the fact that you did not make a purchase, because the business owner invited you onto the property (i.e., opened the business’ doors to the public) in an effort to make a profit.
Because many recent court decisions have emphasized the victim’s responsibility to exercise caution in preventing slip and fall accidents, insurance companies and property owners may now believe that they are not fully responsible for property maintenance, and may become firmly entrenched in their belief that they owe only a small settlement award. While you do have a duty to exercise reasonable caution in all circumstances, this never eliminates the property owner’s responsibility to make sure the property is reasonably safe. We fully investigate every case to establish your right to compensation, which can include obtaining the property owner’s safety inspection record, maintenance schedule or contracts with maintenance companies, and more. Although you can negotiate on your own behalf, our lawyers have the resources and experience necessary to fight for a settlement award that fully compensates for the injuries in your case.