Joshua P. Geist, Esq., Partner
The son of a mining equipment salesman and a public–school teacher, Josh grew up in Lancaster, Pa. He earned his B.A. and Juris Doctor degrees from the University of Pittsburgh, where he became a member of the distinguished academic honor society Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Geist is a partner with Goodrich & Geist, P.C. in Pittsburgh. He concentrates his practice in personal injury representation, automobile litigation, medical negligence and product liability. Mr. Geist received his B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Pittsburgh and his J.D. from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. He is the Immediate Past President of the Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (WPTLA) and also serves on the Executive Committee and Board of Governors of the Pennsylvania Association for Justice (PAJ, formerly the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association).
Mr. Geist is an invited member of the prestigious Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, an invitation-only group made up of the top trial lawyers in Pittsburgh. Mr. Geist has served as co-chair of the Automobile Litigation Section of PAJ. He has been named a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” Rising Star, which is limited to 2.5% of practicing attorneys in Pennsylvania under the age of 40 or in practice less than 10 years. Mr. Geist is a frequent writer and speaker on personal injury topics and has taught trial techniques and tactics to law students at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Car, Motorcycle and Truck Accidents
- Dangerous Property and Premises Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Dangerous Products and Product Liability
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Pennsylvania, 2000
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 2004
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
– J.D. – 2000
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
– B.A. summa cum laude – 1997
– Honors: Dean’s List
– Major: Political Science
- Trial of UIM Case, Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers, 2011 – 2012
- Auto Law, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, 2006 – 2012
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers – Rising Stars, 2006 – 2012
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, 2010 – 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, President, 2011 – 2013
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, Invited Member, 2010 – 2012
Past Employment Positions
- Goodrich, Goodrich & Lazzara, P.C., Associate, 2000 – 2007
- Goodrich & Goodrich, P.C., Associate, 2007 – 2012
Today he is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the U.S. District Court’s Western District of Pennsylvania. The independent rating service Super Lawyers has listed Josh among its Rising Stars—outstanding young lawyers recognized for professional achievement—every year since 2006.
Josh has a solid record as a trial attorney with Goodrich & Goodrich, P. C., where between 2000 and 2012 he successfully handled a wide variety of cases involving personal injury.
A Distinguished Case
“Not long ago, I stood up for a family from Erie who lost a wife and mother when a propane explosion destroyed their home. The explosion was caused by a series of safety rule violations by local gas companies. We were able to prove that the explosion and the fire that followed could have been prevented had a simple test—which was required by federal law—been done.”
Josh often participates in fundraising events for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation after the child of a close friend was diagnosed with the condition. Josh, his wife Susan, and their two young children live in Ben Avon, Pa.